Monday 14 December 2009

Albums of The Year - Number 5


GIRLS - ALBUM

I first heard 'Lust For Life' at the start of this year, and since that moment, I knew I would like this band no matter what album they produced. Luckily though, the album they did produce (confusingly called 'Album') was so good, I wouldn't have minded 'Lust For Life' not being on there (It is and it's still my favourite).

Alot has been written this year about frontman Christopher Owen's upbringing in a cult, his family problems, his lucky break and his meeting in San Fran with other Girls member Chet 'JR' White and the resulting band. But whatever led them to this album, I'm glad it did. The emotions conjured in Owen's voice and the lyrics are so powerful, you can't help but listen to every word. Despite the uptempo joy of 'Lust For Life', the lyrics state "Oh I wish I had a father, and maybe then I woulda turned out right, but now I'm just crazy and totally mad, now I'm just crazy and fucked in the head." These lyrics, knowing his backstory, are heartbreaking.

Musically, the album is early Beach Boys but with scuzzy production and dark, honest lyrics. I heard it being described as having a 'pillow quality', and I can see how that applies. The subtle production touches, and every song discussing, well, girls, the album is pure class and one which grows and sticks after every listen. It also happens to be my girlfriends album of the year.