Tuesday 15 December 2009

Albums of The Year - Number 4


POMEGRANATES - EVERYBODY, COME OUTSIDE!

I can't recall how I stumbled upon this album. It's the second album by Cincinnati's Pomegranates, downloaded by me on a whim, and all I know is that when I finished listening to the first track, I immediately downloaded their first album 'Everything Is Alive' as well, just in case this was all a trick, this 'Pomegranate' band weren't real, and their recordings would disappear if I didn't download them all straight away! Now I realise this may make me sound a little strange, but when I find a new music discovery that excites me this much, 'a little strange' is a rather accurate description of myself.

I remember when I first listened to the album all the way through. It was on the way back home after visiting my girlfriend in Hamburg on a coach to the airport. It was late evening, and the bright sun was setting before my eyes. I was sad I was leaving her, sad I wouldn't see her for another two weeks or so, but rather blissful and content after having spent another great weekend with my favourite person. I think I listened to every word sang on the album, every swirling guitar part, every cheerful key progression, every hammering drum, every last thing being introduced to my ears.

The album is an absorbing and magical tale about a man leaving home only to be taken captive by a time traveller and being left lost in time. I think this album really made sense to me in an exciting time in my life, but I would recommend this dream-pop to anyone in any situation; it is so original and unique, charming and captivating, just a fascinating listen start to finish.