Wednesday 16 December 2009

Albums of The Year - Number 2

KASABIAN - WEST RYDER PAUPER LUNATIC ASYLUM

I know what you're thinking. Well, don't think that. I really don't care, I fucking love this record. Nobody is doing what Kasabian are right now, and haven't for years. I'll get the three words in now that most reviews do at some point; Oasis. Lad-rock. Right, now thats out of the way, let me explain.

Kasabian have established themselves as one of the biggest bands in Britain, and after two good albums, they got lumped in with other bands that are seemingly adored solely by Stella-swilling football hooligans alone. But look at that front cover. Listen to this record. Do you think they care or want to cater to this audience? Kasabian take risks while still being one of the only bands to truly capture the brilliance of rock bands from decades ago. This psychedelic, acid trip of a 'concept' record has drum 'n' bass, Bollywood strings, Krautrock rhythms, Ennio Morricone spaghetti western soundtracks, camp disco - basically everything. Who else is doing this, and getting it to work so well?

I think Serge has created something wonderful here (along with hip-hop producer Dan the Automator), and I hope the band continue to follow their instincts. Basically, after West Ryder, Kasabian are the sort of band that I want to be in when I imagine being in a rock band.