Friday 29 January 2010

YEASAYER - ODD BLOOD


Seeing how almost everyone in the world (or at least some people in the music press and on the Internet) are raving about the new album Yeasayer, I thought I'd have to have a listen. I was prepared for a hard listen - my impressions of this band were of crazy, well, just noise basically. And in effect, 'Odd Blood' is just that really, but it works somehow. 'Odd Blood' is easier to listen to that I first thought it would be, and although there is so much going on, it never becomes overwhelming like a lot of experimental records. This album invites you to explore the different sounds each time, but you are always aware that you will never fully understand or 'get' them all. I have a feeling that many will point to 'Odd Blood' as this years 'Merriweather Post Pavilion' and shower it in praise. I know this can put a lot of people off, but Yeasayer have something here worthy of plaudits all round.