Wednesday 20 January 2010

LAURA VEIRS - JULY FLAME


Every review I read of this album before I listened to it raved about how good it was. 'July Flame' is Laura Veirs' seventh album and it seems acclaim has finally come her way. The folk and indie-rock balladry are beautiful and this album makes me want to explore her past work, which is why I love discoveries like this, not just new acts, but also ones who have been around and worked for their success, finally getting the attention the deserve.

'July Flame' might mention a summer month, but I can think of no better time to listen to this album than in these chilly and uncertain winter months (although I have yet to listen to it when the sun is going down in the summer). The songs mix a great range of simple instrumentation with Laura's voice and lyrics, as well as hazy backing harmonies that all help to create this woozy, poetic folk record.