Thursday 25 February 2010

THE COURTEENERS - FALCON


'Falcon' is released at the end of February, and is The Courteeners follow up to 2008's Number 4 album 'St Jude'. In between, the band have had sell out tours, massive festival appearances, a US tour support slot with Morrissey, and yet the jury still seems to be out on them. Many dismiss the band as (shudder) 'lad-rock' and (basically just front-man Liam Fray) gobby and unoriginal. This really isn't a fair reflection of the band, and despite their critics, they have a huge following. 'Falcon' seems to be The Courteeners answer and response to the critics, and a developed, step up in their game, a maturity of sound and lyrics.

Opening track, imaginatively titled 'The Opener', is an ode to Manchester and home, Liam asking "I've been away, I've been working, but now I'm back , I need to know if you're still there and need to know if you still care?" With recent 11,000 sell out home-town gig at Manchester Central and a near sold out nationwide tour, it's obvious that people do still care about The Courteeners. This track is a good start, an indication of the albums themes and sound with Elbow-esque mature theme they have developed. There are still the rockier moments that dominated 'St Jude', here found on 'Sycophant' and 'Take Over The World' (you can imagine this is Fray's plan), but the heavy guitars are combined with strings and dramatic, choir backed choruses.

"I'm only a paper-boy from the North West but I can scrub up well in Sunday best", Fray's lyrics are still staying close to the kitchen sink, but he attempts at grander, more meaningful stuff across the album, as heard on 'Cross My Heart & Hope To Fly', "...and shoot right up into the middle of the sky, where no one can find me and no one can see, that would be my ecstasy."

There are still the indie disco floor fillers on display, mainly in the form of single 'You Over Did It Doll' with the Franz Ferdinand/Reverend & The Makers disco-funk and with Liam singing about "the girl that he used to whirl" who'll "carry on till you're dead and you drop."

Liam Fray's lyrics, much like the band as a whole, seem to be Marmite to people, them either being loved or hated. He admits on 'Lullaby' "I'm a fool who thinks he's as strong as Cassius Clay" which seems a more personal lyric than ever heard before. I personally love Liam's lyrics. He sings about "The Night & Day holding memories" the "Deansgate fireflies", which are all about home and Manchester. Growing up here I feel like I know what he is singing about (and often changing between complaining about to missing it by being away), I have the same experiences and so it's easy for me to relate. Critics will claim he is being over sentimental, but that is what I associate with Fray, and works best on 'Cameo Broach'. I understand why alot of people will dislike the album, or just not find it to their taste, but that doesn't bother me one bit.

'Falcon' isn't a classic album. It's a big step for 'The Courteeners' and should see them step up into the big time, which they deserve (and want) to do. It probably won't stay with me as much as 'St Jude' did, but there is more to explore here and I will be doing. Special mention must be made for the 5 tracks on the 2nd CD on the deluxe edition, especially if you like the punk moments from the band. 'Revolver' stands out, which it has been threatening to so since Liam first started playing it in his solo acoustic shows. In fact the whole album seems to be a Liam Fray project and I wonder how much of a say the other members get in the direction of the band. I'm not really too bothered about the answer, as I like their direction, and this soaring (ha - get it?) album.