Tuesday 9 February 2010

CHRISTMAS ISLAND - BLACKOUT SUMMER


I think it started with Girls last year. Actually, it was The Black Lips a few years before, and The Cribs to some extent, but lo-fi, garage rock that remind me of summer and romance has slowly started to dominate my music collection. I don't know whether it's the simplicity of it, the realism, but with escapist qualities; anyone can listen to these bands and imagine being on a beach on a warm summers night with loved ones and just partying until morning. The Drums are benefiting from this movement at the moment, but there are so many gems out there, ones that I've been posting virtually every day on this blog - Surfer Blood, Smithwesterns, Beach House, Best Coast. The list goes on and continues to grow, and I love that because it means I get to stumble across bands like Christmas Island.

Most bands in this surf/beach pop, lo-fidelity garage era are only just being blogged about and so EP's and albums are months off, but I was able to download 'Blackout Summer' from Christmas Island. It is more of this amazing music around at the moment. A little unvaried yes, but it is brilliant ramshackle strumming of people who can make music at home, bands who sing about love, California and drinking. Most of the numbers are about rejection and sadness but with guitars and singing of the sunniest variety. Another unexpected treat, mixing the best elements of Girls and The Drums in an amateur, yet charming way.