Tuesday 24 November 2009

BLAKROC - BLAKROC

For a while it was a fun thing to do, and a good way to boost dwindling careers; collaborate rock and rap. Aerosmith and Run DMC most notably, but since then, results of these collaborations have been poor, especially recently, Jay-Z and Linkin Park anyone? 'Blakroc' however is a very refreshing change, and something I find very exciting. Maybe I am biased due to my love of Ohio-based bluesmen The Black Keys and one of the best hip-hop producers ever, Rza, but this collaboration has had me giddy since the first time I heard about it.

Legend goes that Damon Dash heard The Black Keys and approached them to collaborate, and whilst in the studio with Jim Jones, Mos Def walked in. Then they got clearance to use some Ol' Dirty Bastard vocals from Def Jam, and since then everyone from Ludacris, Rza and Nicole Wray have been involved. The album is not perfect, some songs are a bit weak, but for the most part it works really well. The Black Keys lo-fi riffs add a great undertone for all the acts to sing/rap over. The basic blues/hip hop combinations are often killer though, especially on songs like 'Ain't Nothing Like You (Hoochie Coo)'. 'Blakroc' is a great album finishing off 2009, and I have the upmost respect for the artists involved. I just hope it inspires more cross genre collaborations of this calibre.